Similar to how you call your mom for a recipe or your auto-mechanic uncle when your car makes a rumbling noise, sometimes you just need a little extra guidance from an expert! Consider us the family members to reach out to as your reliable resource for all things home-related.
With that being said, here are several tips from Project Manager Jeff Kolota to help protect your pipes throughout this nasty cold front we are experiencing.
- Protect the pipes in your basement from freezing or bursting by wrapping them with heat tape or insulated sleeves
- Cover your water heater with an insulated blanket
- Ensure all of your heating vents are open and easily accessible
- Maintain a constant trickle of water throughout your faucets, especially if it is located along an outside wall
- Set your thermostat to maintain the same temperature during the day and at night; if you’re out of town, set it to at least 55 degrees
- Remove snow and ice buildup from around the garage door to retain its tight seal
- Open the cabinet doors below your kitchen sink, and in your bathroom vanities as well, to allow warmer air to circulate to the pipes within; this is especially important for sinks located on an outside wall
- Remove your garden hose and turn off the hose bib; close and drain the shut-off valves that lead outdoors
- If your pipes do freeze, keep your faucets open and apply indirect heat to the approximate area where the pipe froze. Once the ice thaws, water will begin to flow out. Continue to run water as it will help melt the ice faster within the pipe.
- If a pipe bursts, immediately shut off the main water supply. Next, drain the faucets and flush the toilets to help relieve any excess pressure in your pipes; carry out these steps as soon as possible to minimize damage. Then, call in a licensed, experienced professional to assess the situation, properly clean up the area, and make any repairs or replacements as needed. Also, be sure to extensively document any damage throughout as this will help when filing a claim with your insurance company.
OHi has been helping families in Chicago and its surrounding suburbs remodel their homes since we founded our family business in 1900. Our expert team members will help you find design inspiration and carry out your vision. We’ve been improving our neighborhood one home at a time through expert advice, exclusive products, and exceptional service. Check out our portfolio, or contact us to speak with an OHi family member about your remodel!